Kids! Come explore Christian themes in a safe, fun environment... Parents! Attend worship knowing your children are in good hands!
Young people are an important part of our ministry, so we find knowledgeable, engaging teachers to work with your children. We encourage parents to help guide our programming. As is our policy, all teachers or volunteers working with our children must have a vulnerable persons safety check.
Infants to four-year-olds are welcome in our Nursery. Since 2014 Shae Forsberg has been our lead caregiver, along with regular volunteers. Children ages 3 and 4 may choose to be in the nursery, or participate with the older children in Grace Land activities. Occasionally we require parents to help out. You can see our colourful nursery space on the Rentals page.
Kindergarten to Grade 6
Grace Land is a place where children:
- explore God’s grace and the example of Jesus throughout the seasons of the church year
- engage in stories from the Bible through storytelling, music, art, drama, and games
- absorb a ‘vocabulary’ with which they are better able to express their spirituality
- participate in outreach projects
- build relationships in a faith community
Each group has the same teacher every Sunday. Our 2016-17 teachers are:
- K to Grade 3: Hyun
- Grades 4 to 6: Mackenzie
Seasons of the Spirit
Grades 7 - 9
Lia Storey-Gamble facilitates this group, engaging young people with conversations about faith and social justice, as well as organizing outreach projects. The program is member-directed, with the support of parents and the Grace Land Coordinator. Souled Out keeps in touch through social media and texting, and they get together most Sunday mornings. Occasionally they're joined by older youth for favourite activities such as city-wide youth events.
A new group!
A small group of keen young adults has begin to organize a new program, designed just for them -- and for YOU if you identify as a YA and get in on the ground level. The first meeting took place after the worship service on September 25, so there's still lots of time to put YOUR ideas on the table.
Since 1969 adults with intellectual challenges have met most Sunday mornings at our church to attend worship services and explore Bible stories through art, music and storytelling. Members of the group also attend some of Grosvenor's special events. Over the years ours has been a real "home" church for many Elmwood residents (and some from other locations as well). Ruth Robinson is the facilitator, with the support of Elmwood caregivers and Grosvenor volunteers.
Current Programs and ACTIVITIES for Adults
Exploring Our Lives Through Scripture
- Tuesdays, 10:30 AM - Noon
- McFaull Lounge (Sponsor: Christian Ed.)
Life and God Talk: Small Group Guided Discussions
- Sept 27, Oct 25, Nov 22, Feb 28, Mar 28 7:30 - 9:00 PM
- Come to one or all five sessions
- McFaull Lounge
Intercultural Action Group
- 2nd Wednesday of the month 7:45 - 9:00 PM
- McFaull Lounge (Sponsor: Intercultural Action Pod)
Exploring Faith Questions
- 2nd Thursday of the month 7:30 – 9:00 PM
- McFaull Lounge (Sponsor: Christian Ed.)
Silent Meditative Practice
- Thursdays 7:00 - 7:30 PM, Oct 6 - Dec 15
- Sanctuary Prayer Corner - use lift entrance
Tai Chi Meditation
- Thursdays 2:30 PM
- Schnell Hall (Sponsor: Tai Chi Pod)
Singing Our Faith
- 3rd Wednesday of the month, 7:45 - 9:00 PM
- Sanctuary (Sponsor: Outreach)
- An opportunity to read and sing together, including upcoming hymns—aimed at those for whom English is an Additional Language, and for those who just like to sing. Children also welcome.
- 2nd Thursday of the month, 7:00 AM
- Grainfields Restaurant -- Grosvenor Park Centre, 2105 8th St. E. (Sponsor: Breakfast Pod)
- Everyone welcome for food and fellowship!
Nobuko’s Community Office Hours
- Most Saturdays, 10:30 AM - Noon
- Jerry’s Food Emporium - 1115 Grosvenor Ave. @ 8th St. E. (Sponsor: Cong. Care)
- A chance to visit and have coffee together. Children welcome.
Choir (sings twice a month at worship service)
- Wednesdays, 6:30 - 7:30 PM
- Sanctuary (Sponsor: Worship Cte)
- more info below
Worship Band (plays every Sunday)
- Sundays, rehearsals at 9:15 - 10:00 AM
- Plays during 10:00 - 11:15 AM service (Sponsor: Worship Cte)
- Rehearses again after the service
- more info below
Anyone's welcome to join the choir! It’s a great social time - lots of visiting and laughter. And when it's time to get down to singing, you'll enjoy the variety of musical genres and the challenge of singing something new. Led by Colin Elliott, our choir sings at two Sunday services a month.
Ours is a supportive choir, happy to greet new choristers with warmth, regardless of previous musical experiences or abilities. So, don't be shy - we don't mind the odd squeaky note. Or several!
- Rehearsals: Wednesdays 6:30 - 7:30 PM, Sanctuary
Our lively band provides an eclectic blend of traditional and contemporary hymns for all our worship services, and is always open to more instrumentalists and vocalists. If you have a musical gift you'd like to share, either as a regular band member or as a guest artist, our Music Director, Ken N. would be happy to talk with you.
- Rehearsals: Sunday mornings before and after the service.
A Pod is a Spirit-led study, action or social group of two or more people with a shared interest, concern or vision. A Pod can enhance the members’ sense of belonging, allow them to explore a subject in depth, and/or organize to take action on a particulate project or cause. Current active Pods include Refugee Support, Correctional Centre Support, Creative Hands Quilting, Congregational Breakfast, Intercultural Working Group, Tai Chi Meditative Exercise, and a Pod soon to become active to “green” Grosvenor.
Led by the Outreach Committee and several task-specific Pods (see above), Grosvenor extends its work into the community and beyond with a variety of aid and advocacy initiatives. In 2016-17 we are pleased to be sponsoring a Syrian refugee family in partnership with St. Paul's United.
- Outreach meets on the second Tuesday of the month at 1:30 PM, McFaull Lounge
Through our Affirming and Worship Committees and a study pod dedicated to "intercultural church," Grosvenor continues to offer a variety of ongoing and one-off initiatives that provide opportunities for learning and understanding among diverse peoples. We are also working on following "best practices" for making our building and programs more accessible to those with disabilities. Our aim is to strengthen the relationships among those who call Grosvenor their home church.
- Worship meets on the first Wednesday of the month, 7:40 - 9:15 PM, Sanctuary
- Affirming meets on the second Tuesday of the month at 6:30 PM, McFaull Lounge
- Intercultural Action Group meets on the second Wednesday of the month, 7:45 - 9:00 PM, McFaull Lounge
This program is led by a group of our members who communicate intentionally with our congregation about our health and wellbeing. Through the pastoral leadership of Rev. Nobuko Iwai, we endeavour to share in the pastoral care of one another in a relationship that is akin to an extended family. Our program of care includes “support circles” for those whose lives are in crisis and are open to this method. We also support one another through social media for congregants who find this kind of contact helpful.
- Congregational Care meets on the third Tuesday of the month at 9:30 AM, McFaull Lounge